WYMT is the CBS affiliate and dominant number one station in the scenic Appalachian Mountains of Southeastern Kentucky. This regional station is located in the small town of Hazard, and has three bureaus and serves more than 25 counties. WYMT provides award-winning local news, weather, and sports coverage. WYMT.com is the region’s strongest digital platform. WYMT is involved and dedicated to the local communities we serve, participating in numerous charities and causes. A second channel, Heroes & Icons (H&I), allows WYMT to offer even more local programming, including dozens of live high school and college football and basketball games each year. The WYMT/Whayne Supply Mountain Supply Mountain Basketball Classic has generated more than three and a half million dollars for local students and schools. WYMT has a proven record of turning out solid journalists capable of moving up in the ranks. Several anchors and producers have moved on to top 40 markets in the last couple of years.
You can enjoy all four seasons … from snow-covered mountains in the winter to blooming dogwoods in the spring. With miles of trails and lakes, it is a popular destination for outdoor recreation, hunting, and fishing. The people of Appalachia are full of pride in their home and culture, and some of the most welcoming you will find. We have a strong work ethic and are always willing to help our neighbors. You will certainly find a “mountain family” atmosphere at WYMT.
Effective immediately WYMT-TV is accepting applications for Sports Director.
Start where it all began for ESPN`s Jay Crawford.
This aggressive, sports-minded station is looking for a person to lead our fast-paced, award-winning sports team. You must be passionate about sports and able to hit the ground running. A minimum of two years “real” broadcast experience is required.
Our sports reporters shoot 2-3 games a night. We do a LOT of sports - High School, UK Wildcats, NCAA, NAIA, and OVC. We work hard and have fun! Great station! Great company!
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
• Deliver on-air news events in an engaging, exciting, and accurate manner
• Use editorial judgment to help determine content of the newscasts
• Work with producers and team to create unique, fast-paced newscasts
• Use social media to determine content of newscasts and highlight big social stories
• Use creative production techniques such as graphics and new forms of media (viewer pictures, webcam interviews, etc.) to enhance newscasts and stories.
• Write for the web and post daily on all digital platforms including social media and attaching images and streaming video
• Interview news subjects and research for facts and credibility
• Perform other tasks as required by supervisor or executive producer
• Deliver unscripted breaking news coverage and special event coverage to the community at large
• Collaborate with producers and management in the development of broadcast content such as newscasts, promotions, and teases
• Receive assignments and evaluate leads and tips in order to develop story ideas
• Covers news in the field to generate, produce and deliver high profile special reports
• Edit video for broadcasts as necessary
• Participate in community events and makes public appearances on behalf of the station as assigned
Successful applicants must possess creative storytelling skills, a terrific grasp of current events, strong organizational skills and the ability to shoot and edit your own video. All anchors report daily but must also have the skills to produce, not stack, a fast-paced and informative newscast when needed.
You must also understand and embrace the importance of the new multi-platform newsroom. Do you see the web as an opportunity or a burden? Do you ``Tweet`` about your stories? Do you interact with viewers on Facebook? Do you blog?
Gray Television provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Gray Television complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Gray Television expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Gray Television’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.