Effective immediately WYMT-TV is accepting applications for a morning multimedia journalist (MMJ).
WYMT-TV is looking for a pioneer in the next generation of newsgathering. We report news on every platform available to our viewers. Successful candidates will have a demonstrated ability to report, shoot video, edit video, post web stories/pictures/video from both the field and television station. Successful candidates will also have the ability to deliver compelling stories. You’ll use the latest technology, including lightweight next-generation video equipment and laptop editing.
WYMT has a proven record of turning out solid journalists capable of moving up in the ranks quickly. Two years ago, another anchor jumped to Miami, Florida. ESPN`s Jay Crawford started his career with WYMT. Our anchors, reporters, and producers typically move on to Top 40 Markets and higher.
We work hard and have fun! Great station! Great company!
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
• Deliver on-air news events in an engaging, exciting, and accurate manner
• Use editorial judgment to help determine content of the newscasts
• Work with producer and team to create unique, fast-paced newscasts
• Use social media to determine content of newscasts and highlight big social stories
• Use creative production techniques such as graphics and new forms of media (viewer pictures, webcam interviews, etc.) to enhance newscasts and stories.
• Write for the web and post daily on all digital platforms including social media and attaching images and streaming video
• Interview news subjects and research for facts and credibility
• Perform other tasks as required by supervisor or executive producer
• Deliver unscripted breaking news coverage and special event coverage to the community at large
• Collaborate with producers and management in the development of broadcast content such as newscasts, promotions, and teases
• Receive assignments and evaluate leads and tips in order to develop story ideas
• Covers news in the field to generate, produce and deliver high profile special reports
• Edit video for broadcasts and the web
• Participate in community events and makes public appearances on behalf of the station as assigned
Duties of this job include live reporting, creative shooting, writing, editing and posting of news stories, both hard news and features. Must have excellent writing skills and must be able to work well under strict deadline pressure.
Successful applicants must possess creative storytelling skills, a terrific grasp of current events, strong organizational skills and the ability to shoot and edit your own video. Reporters must be able to communicate accurately, conversationally and efficiently on live breaking news. Reporters must also have the skills to produce, not stack, a fast-paced and informative newscast when needed.
You must also understand and embrace the importance of the new multi-platform newsroom. Do you see the web as an opportunity or a burden? Do you ``Tweet`` about your stories? Do you interact with viewers on Facebook? Do you blog?