POWELL COUNTY, Ky. (WYMT) - A Powell County woman is safe Friday morning after she woke up to smoke and flames in her home.
The woman was asleep when she heard what she thought was someone breaking in. She then realized the house was on fire and quickly got outside.
Almost half of the home was damaged, and fire officials say nothing inside was saved. The woman said she thinks the cause of the fire was faulty wiring.
High winds made it difficult to fight the flames.
"When you've got wind, it feeds the flames, harder to battle that, finds all the void spaces," said Fire Chief Mike Sparks. "We have to dig until we actually find where the seed of the fire is to put it out."