Mother calls 911 as possible kidnapping is streamed on Facebook live

Published: May. 9, 2017 at 9:25 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Social media helped West Virginia troopers find a man being held at knifepoint and forced to drive miles of Corridor G and Route 119.

More than 50 minutes of the incident was broadcast on Facebook Live, using the victim's cellphone.

Thousands may have witnessed the crime unfold. Troopers say if not for those videos, they may never had known something was wrong.

A series of eight Facebook live videos start innocent enough. State police said the victim was willingly taking Justin Green to Charleston from Boone County on Monday.

But partway through, the tone changes.

"Just chill a freaking minute, dude,” the victim said on camera. “Hold up. For real, please. Dude, don't. Don't.

That type of conversation led his mother to call police, which found the videos themselves and started the pursuit.

The man told troopers later he was sure he was going to die. Green told him several times he was going to put him in a body bad and make him famous.

"Dude, I ain't done nothing to you. Don't, no no no no no," the victim said. “Why me?”

The response from the suspect, “Shut the (expletive) up."

We're not telling you the victim's name, but we can tell you he's a 36-year-old man from Boone County. He also is Facebook friends with Green’s alias, who streamed the videos live.

The victim was just a year or two behind Boone County resident Jessie Dotson in school.

"I was worried if he was alright,” Dotson said. “They are bad things that happen around here, but I never dreamed it would be anything like this."

Like everyone else, Dotson said he heard about it through Facebook.

Police started the pursuit in Kanawha County near Southridge. It continued through Boone, Logan and Mingo counties before the victim slammed on his brakes in a rolling road block, causing a wreck which ended it all on U.S. 119 in Mingo County, just south of Route 65.

"Too close to home,” Dotson said. “Shouldn't have happened. Shouldn't be on Facebook like that."

The victim was stabbed in his leg at the very end of the pursuit, along with injuries to his neck, wrist and arm. But nothing is expected to be life threatening.

"Glad to know he was alright,” Dotson said. “Pretty worried about him."

The victim's family declined to make a comment to us Tuesday.

Green is at the Southwestern Regional Jail, facing several charges including attempted murder and possession with intent to deliver. Bond has been set at $75,000.

Troopers found a large amount of meth, some marijuana and a folding knife with a 3-inch blade in the vehicle.

You can view the original story on the chase