SOMERSET, Ky. (AP/WKYT) - A Kentucky man who pleaded guilty to attacking three people with a machete, killing one, has been sentenced to 23 years in prison.
Media outlets report that Cody T. Hall apologized for his actions in a letter read by his attorney during his sentencing Thursday in Pulaski Circuit Court.
"I just hope that each person that was harmed in any way by me will be able to someday find peace," the letter stated.
Hall had previously pleaded guilty to charges of murder, assault and wanton endangerment in the 2017 attack that killed 50-year-old Scott Holbrook and injured two women.
A prosecutor says Hall was under the influence of meth and thought his son was in danger when he attacked the others.
Sister station WKYT reports the family said they are grateful that they will not have to suffer through the trial process.
"Last time he didn't even look at us or anything," said a family member. "I'm just glad he said he was sorry. I just hope that it wasn't just a statement and that he really meant it."