Man burned, airlifted to hospital after garage fire

Published: Nov. 29, 2018 at 5:50 PM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Around 4 p.m. Thursday afternoon, firefighters responded to a fire in the Lily community of Laurel County.

Officials said the garage off Slate Ridge Road was engulfed in flames when they arrived. Three fire departments fought the blaze and were able to knock it down in about 15 minutes.

"Upon arrival, the building was fully engulfed with flames endangering structures behind it as well as endangering the people that were trying to save the building," said Ed Lemley, a firefighter with the Lily Fire Department.

Authorities are not sure how the fire started but said there were cars kept inside the building that may have fueled the fire.

One man was burned and was airlifted from the scene. Officials said he was not in the building when they arrived. They believe he may have tried to enter the building after the fire started.

Firefighters say because of their quick response time, they were able to contain the fire and prevent other homes and buildings from being destroyed.

"With the quick response from all the departments, we were able to save and have minimal damage to the structures behind the building and able to contain it to this one building", said Lemley.

We are told the man was conscious and talking when authorities made contact with him. We do not know his name or his condition at this time.