Lawsuit: Gas utility's neglect led to fatal Wolfe County house explosion

(L-R) Albert Vanderpool, 80, Phillip Vanderpool, 52, and Sueann Vanderpool, 48, were laid to rest after a deadly explosion in Wolfe County. (WKYT)
By  | 

CAMPTON, Ky. (WYMT/AP) - Relatives of three people who died in a Kentucky home explosion are suing a utility company that they say failed to respond adequately to concerns about the smell of gas.

The Nov. 23 explosion killed Phillip Vanderpool, his wife Sueann Vanderpool and homeowner Albert Vanderpool.

Relatives are suing Troublesome Creek Gas Corp, stating that leaking gas ignited and exploded. The lawsuit says family members called Troublesome Creek at least four times in the five days before the explosion, complaining of a gas smell.

The lawsuit says technicians visited the home three times and did nothing.

"They had the right to expect that the gas company would let them know if there was a gas leak or any other unsafe condition. Instead, the opposite occurred," said the family's attorney. "The gas company told the Vanderpools the home was safe and, as a result, three people died in an explosion. The Vanderpool family has suffered tremendously and they are simply seeking some accountability for this needless tragedy."

The utility declined to comment. The explosion remains under investigation.

You can read the filed lawsuit below:




 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus