Kentucky man accused of breaking 27 of infant girl's bones

Sean Dykes is behind bars after police said he assaulted an infant girl.
Sean Dykes is behind bars after police said he assaulted an infant girl.(WYMT)
Published: Jun. 3, 2019 at 3:29 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
Update 6/12

Sean Dykes was in court on Wednesday.

His case will now be heard by a grand jury.

Original Story

A Richmond man is behind bars after police said he assaulted an infant girl.

On May 25, paramedics and police were dispatched to a call of a three-month-old girl with head injuries.

The infant was treated for 27 bone fractures, including her skull, ribs, spine, arms, legs, hands and feet. She also had retinal hemorrhaging, bruises to her face, head and stomach and possible internal injuries.

Police said Sean A. Dykes was the primary caregiver and was the only person with the girl during the time the injuries could have happened.

On May 30, police arrested Dykes. According to the arrest citation, Dykes told officers that he suffers from multiple personality disorder and had been under a lot of stress.

Police said Dykes admitted to going into a rage, grabbing the infant by the abdomen, slamming her on the bed and blacking out in his rage. He told them the next thing he remembers is the girl having a seizure, having cuts and bruises to her head, and his right hand hurting.

According to the arrest citation, Dykes said the only possible explanation was he punched the baby in the head and agreed all the evidence suggested he was responsible. He said he was sorry for abusing her and would apologize to her if he could.

"It's unimaginable that a father could do this to their daughter. But luckily, with a lot of prayer, I think, and some blessing, she's still alive," said Richmond Police Assistant Chief Rodney Richardson. "And right now, other than some long-term effects, she may be doing okay."

Dykes demonstrated the abuse on a teddy bear, police said. Dykes is also accused of strangling the baby's mother in March 2018.

Dykes is in the Madison County Detention Center. He faces first- and second-degree assault, as well as criminal abuse of a child under 12.