Job Opening: Multimedia Journalist/MMJ
WYMT, nestled in the scenic Appalachian Mountains, is looking for a highly motivated, energetic storyteller who loves news.
You must be a pioneer in the next generation of newsgathering. We report news on every platform available to our viewers. Successful candidates will have a demonstrated ability to report, shoot video, edit video, post web stories/pictures/video from both the field and television station.
Successful candidates will also have the ability to deliver compelling stories. You’ll use the latest technology, including lightweight next generation video equipment and laptop editing.
WYMT has a proven record of turning out solid journalists capable of moving up in the ranks quickly. ESPN`s Jay Crawford started his career with WYMT. Our anchors, reporters, and producers typically move on to Top 40 markets and higher.
We work hard and have fun! Great station! Great company!
Duties of this job include live reporting, creative shooting, writing, editing and posting of news stories, both hard news and features. Must have excellent writing skills and must be able to work well under strict deadline pressure.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
• Deliver on-air news events in an engaging, exciting, and accurate manner
• Use editorial judgment to help determine content of the newscasts
• Work with producer and team to create unique, fast-paced newscasts
• Use social media to determine content of newscasts and highlight big social stories
• Use creative production techniques such as graphics and new forms of media (viewer pictures, webcam interviews, etc.) to enhance newscasts and stories
• Write for the web and post daily on all digital platforms including social media and attaching images and streaming video
• Interview news subjects and research for facts and credibility
• Perform other tasks as required by supervisor or executive producer
• Deliver unscripted breaking news coverage and special event coverage to the community at large
• Collaborate with producers and management in the development of broadcast content such as newscasts, promotions, and teases
• Receive assignments and evaluate leads and tips in order to develop story ideas
• Covers news in the field to generate, produce and deliver high profile special reports
• Edit video for broadcasts and the web
• Participate in community events and makes public appearances on behalf of the station as assigned
• Creative storytelling skills
• A terrific grasp of current events
• Strong organizational skills
• The ability to shoot and edit your own video
• Communicate accurately, conversationally and efficiently on live breaking news
• Skills to produce, not stack, a fast-paced and informative newscast when needed
• Understand and embrace the importance of the new multi-platform newsroom
Gray Television provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Gray Television complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Gray Television expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Gray Television’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.