HARLAN COUNTY, Ky. (WYMT) - A homeowner in Harlan County is thanking his brother and neighbor for saving his life and home after a Monday night fire.
It happened just down the road from Southeast Community and Technical College in Cumberland close to 7:30 p.m.
"He told me that his trailer had caught fire and that I needed to call 911,” said the next-door neighbor.
Fire officials and those who own the home believe it started when they turned on their heat pump for the first time this fall.
"A lot of people think it's just a switch but we recommend that you have someone come out and service and look at your heat,” said Ed Bush Cumberland Fire Chief.
Flames came out from under the trailer and through the floor.
The homeowner, along with the next-door neighbor, worked to keep the flames under control while they waiting for fire crews to arrive.