Advertisement

Perry County house under renovation burns to ground

(WYMT)
Published: Jul. 17, 2018 at 7:43 AM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Officials say they received the call around 6:20 a.m. Tuesday morning.

"Whenever I first rolled up they paged out danger close to another residence so we tried to get here pretty quick," said Tyler Day with the Avawam Volunteer Fire Department.

The house that sat next to it belongs to Ernie Brock who has lived in the Busy Community of Perry County, where the fire happened, since the 1960's.

"Well, I thought this house was on fire first, my daddy's home, my momma and daddy's old home place," said Ernie Lee Brock who owns the house next to the one that caught fire.

Both the Avawam Volunteer Fire Department and the Hazard Fire Department responded to the blaze.

"Whenever I got here the house was fully involved there was no roof it was completely gone and at that point, we just surround and drown," said Brock.

Neighbors looked on as the house burned to the ground. Walking up and down the street was Brock, and he says a neighbor actually heard a loud boom which they believe was the start of the fire.

"That woman over there says she heard a big bang around 5 o'clock this morning. That could have been the fire," said Brock.

Neighbors and officials say no one lived in the home and it was actually under renovations to be sold later.

is at the scene.