Firefighters launch fundraiser for man who started fire in home to keep warm

Published: Dec. 3, 2019 at 3:40 PM EST
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
Updated 12/04

The Laurel Fire Department is trying to help the man who started a fire inside his home just to stay warm.

The Lily Fire Department is planning to collect food at their station starting Wednesday December 4th.

Fire officials say for reasons they are not sure of, there was no power at the mobile home where the man was living.

They believe the man's "survival mode" kicked in and he set the fire first on the counter and then on the kitchen floor to keep himself and his dog from freezing.

Police were called along with adult protective services. Since then, the fire department took it upon itself to launch a food drive for the fire victim.

"We care very much for our community, the people within our community," said Dalton Napier with Lily Fire and Rescue. "We want to do everything we can to help the members of our community. We need to try to help this man, try to get anything that we can. Help him stay warm throughout the night, especially this cold of a winter we're having."

The home was not badly damaged in the fire and the homeowner is still able to live there. We are told that since the man's story got out, others have also stepped up in an effort to get him help.

"We've had a lot of people contact us within the past few days, wanting to reach out and help this gentleman," Napier said.

Donations can be dropped off from 6 to 9 p.m. on December 5th at the Lily Fire and Rescue Station 1 on Kentucky 552 East in Lily. Power has since been restored to the home and the man has heat now.

Wednesday 12/4/19 Lily Fire & Rescue is asking for help from our community for food donations. We are looking to assist...

Posted by Lily Fire & Rescue on Wednesday, December 4, 2019
Original Story

Firefighters responded after a landowner saw fire and smoke coming out of a tenant's mobile home.

Lily Fire and Rescue sent units to Villagewood Mobile Home Court Monday evening.

Firefighters said an elderly man set some household garbage on fire within his home to try to gain some heat. The landowner happened to stop by, saw fire and smoke, and then called 911.

By the time firefighters arrived, the landowner extinguished the fire. The department helped remove the residual smoke from the home. The elderly man was taken by ambulance to Baptist Health of Corbin for medical treatment.

The Laurel County Sheriff's Department also helped. No injuries were reported due to the fire and no charges were filed.

Latest News

Latest News