Fire destroys home after crews delayed by floodwaters
Firefighters battled a house fire Sunday afternoon in Perry County.
The fire was off Forked Mouth Branch Road and it appears the home burned to the ground.
Firefighters said no one was inside of the home during the fire and it took crews extra time to reach the house due to flooded roadways.
"They were flooded in and couldn't make access to it. We're the neighboring department so we came over. When we showed up it was pretty much on the ground," said Avawam Fire Chief Leonard Toler.
Toler said both the Avawam Fire Department and Grapevine Fire Department responded to the fire.
The homeowner said the house was for sale and the electricity was turned off.
"I grew up here for 17 years," said the homeowner's daughter.
The homeowner's daughter said she will miss being able to drive by and remembering her childhood in the home and that it is hard on her father.
"It hurts a little bit and he feels pretty bad about it," said the daughter.
Firefighters said no one was hurt during the fire.