Update: Volunteers, cadaver dogs still searching for boy swept away by floodwaters
Volunteers and search teams, including a crew from West Virginia, combed an area stretching from Triplet Creek down to the Licking River, but so far Bryce Combs still has not been found.
Rescuers say they will search as long as they have to to find him.
Rescue crews tell sister station WKYT they have points of interest in the search for missing nine-year-old Bryce Kolton Wade Combs.
"People are still here," said Ronnie Day, EMA Director. "They're still searching and they're still coming in."
100 more volunteers joined the search Thursday, along with numerous fire departments from other counties. Cadaver dogs were brought in to help, and will go back out Friday if Combs is not found before then.
"This is not your average situation that you deal with and there's a lot of avenues," said Day. "There's a lot of stones that need to be unturned and that's what we're here to do."
Boats searched the deeper areas of the creek, while people walked the shallow sections. The focus is now more on the water and less on the banks.
"There's a lot of debris in the water, so we've been out there for a few hours already," said Mike Jones, from Morehead. "There's a lot of debris fields. We've had to pull the boats out and go around and put back in to try and cover a little more ground."
Everyone in the Morehead community wants to find Combs.
"It's a small town, so we all know somebody who knows them," said Jones. "They say he was a great kid. It's a terrible thing all the way around."
"This was a tragic accident that's hit a lot of people and it's hit this community hard," said Day. "It's our boy now, and I think everyone has got the same attitude with that."
The name of the boy who was swept away in floodwaters Sunday in Morehead has been released.
City of Morehead Mayor Jim Tom Trent tweeted Wednesday night that Emergency Management Officials asked him to release the boy's name.
Mayor Trent identified the nine-year-old as Bryce Kolton Wade Combs.
He said Combs' family released a picture of him a statement from his mother.
Volunteers and rescue crews are back out in Rowan County on Wednesday as the search continues for a boy swept up by floodwaters earlier this week.
The nine-year-old was washed into a culvert near a creek on Sunday.
350 volunteers and more than 50 first responders searched an area stretching 13 miles on Tuesday but did not find anything.
Wednesday more than 100 people continued to search. The rescue teams will be concentrated on a few areas around Triplett Creek.
Dogs will be brought in Thursday if needed.
The boy's name has not been released.
Sunday, a nine-year-old boy fell into a culvert and was swept away by floodwaters in Morehead.
Crews have been searching since then, our sister station
, and Tuesday morning they went back out to continue day three of the search.
Dogs and drones were brought in to help kayakers and volunteers as they looked for the missing boy. Officials say that more than 400 people, including 300 volunteers, searching in Morehead Tuesday.
Will Robinson, a volunteer says the search is an emotional one.
"Every footstep you take you wish you could find it. I mean every footstep, every limb. Every branch you look under. I just hope and pray that you find that child," said Robinson.
Tuesday was the third day of the search and some of the rescuers are running on just a few hours of sleep. With no resolution, officials plan to have a discussion Tuesday night about how long the search will continue.
Rowan County Superintendent John Maxey said they have counselors in schools helping students cope.
Monday night, the community held a
of the boy's family and in the hopes that the boy might still be found.
About 250 people were at the vigil.
If you would like to help search for the boy on Wednesday, you are asked to call in advance to let them know you want to help. The number is 606-776-0000.
We will keep you updated on the progress of the search.