Advertisement

Bible "untouched" after fire destroys family's home

(WYMT)
Published: Nov. 14, 2017 at 6:13 PM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

A family in Pike County is recovering from a fire that tore through their home on Wednesday. The small home in Rockhouse, Kentucky had multiple oxygen tanks inside, causing the home to burn down very quickly. The family said they had left for a doctor’s appointment and when they returned the home was engulfed in flames.

"When I got back the building was on fire,” said Alisha Clevinger. "It just went. It was gone in no time."

Alisha Clevinger is the daughter-in-law and neighbor of John Clevinger who owns the house. She said that the house is basically home to her. Although no one was injured, the family said years of memories were lost in a matter of minutes.

"It's been here for over a hundred years. He grew up in the house, his mom and dad grew up in the home, he grew up in the home,” said Alisha Clevinger.

They said they lost everything except one item, a long-time family heirloom, their Bible.

"Our entire living room was on fire except for a circle surrounding the table that the Bible was on. As soon as they grabbed it a piece of the ceiling came through and broke the table,” said John Clevinger III, nicknamed “Lathan” who grew up in the house.

"We got our Bible out, thank God we got our Bible. And that was it, that's all we needed,” said Alisha Clevinger.

The family said it is a symbol of hope as they try to rebuild. A link to help the family can be found