Troubleshooters: Crystal Rogers’ boyfriend charged with her murder and evidence tampering
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WAVE) - After eight years since the disappearance of a Bardstown, Ky. woman, her boyfriend has been arrested in connection to her death, WAVE Troubleshooters have learned.
Brooks William Houck, 41, of Bardstown, was taken into custody Wednesday morning, according to the FBI. He was indicted by a Nelson County Grand Jury on September 20 on murder and tampering with physical evidence charges.
The arrest comes after recent searches at Houck’s properties, including his home, with the help of the FBI.
On September 7, Joseph Lawson, 32, was arrested in connection to Rogers’ disappearance. He is facing charges of conspiracy to commit murder and tampering with physical evidence. Lawson pleaded not guilty and is being held on $500,000 cash bond. He is scheduled to be back in court October 26.
Rogers was last seen on July 3, 2015 at the Bardstown farm owned by Houck. Two days after she was reported missing, Rogers’ car was found abandoned with a flat tire on the Bluegrass Parkway. Her cellphone and purse were inside the car.
In October 2015, police named Houck a suspect in the case and said Rogers, the mother of five, was presumed dead. At the same time, Houck’s brother Nick was fired from his job as a police officer with Bardstown Police Department after he was accused of interfering with the investigation.
Rogers’ body has not been found. The Rogers family has maintained their suspicion of Houck since her disappearance.
In November 2016, Tommy Ballard, Crystal’s father, was shot and killed while hunting in a field. Authorities have not found his killer.
After being originally booked into the Nelson County Jail, Houck was transferred to the Hardin County Detention Center in Elizabethtown. Nelson County Jailer Justin Hall said Houck was transferred “due to special circumstances revolving around the case.”
Bail has been set at $10 million cash. Houck is scheduled to be arraigned Oct. 5 in Nelson Circuit Court.
- Bardstown struggle as questions remain in Crystal Rogers disappearance case
- Bardstown reacts to arrest in disappearance of Crystal Rogers
- Arrest made in Crystal Rogers disappearance
- Investigation continues on anniversary of Bardstown woman’s disappearance
- ‘A move in the right direction’: Sherry Ballard reacts to special prosecutor appointment to Nelson County cases
- Special prosecutor appointed for 3 Nelson County unsolved cases
- Crystal Rogers: FBI concludes search on Bardstown farm
- ‘My family just needs answers’: FBI search Bardstown farm as part of Crystal Rogers case
- Seven-year anniversary of Crystal Rogers’ disappearance
- 5 years has passed since mysterious death of Crystal Rogers’ father, Tommy Ballard
- Crystal Rogers: FBI ends search upon discovery of items of interest
- Crystal Rogers: Sherry Ballard hopeful as FBI wraps up search in Bardstown subdivision
- Crystal Rogers: FBI agents discover ‘item of interest’ in Bardstown dig
- Crystal Rogers: Federal agents dig up concrete driveway on Day 3 of subdivision investigation
- Crystal Rogers’ mother: FBI ‘enthused’ on day 2 of Bardstown subdivision search
- Crystal Rogers: FBI returns to Woodlawn Springs subdivision for second day of investigation
- Crystal Rogers: FBI conducting new searches in Bardstown
- Family, friends gather to pray six years after Crystal Rogers’ disappearance
- Crystal Rogers’ mother hopes this year will bring closure to daughter and husband’s case
- Tommy Ballard’s family searching for answers 4 years after his death
- Crystal Rogers: Feds searching storage shed in connection with 2015 disappearance
- FBI releases new ‘area of interest’ in Crystal Rogers case
- FBI following more leads in Crystal Rogers investigation one week after taking over case
- Crystal Rogers: FBI on day 3 of investigations on boyfriend’s family farm
- FBI tows Crystal Rogers’ car from storage unit
- Neighbors hopeful about Crystal Rogers case after FBI takeover
- Crystal Rogers: FBI Louisville takes lead in case of missing mother of 5
- Timeline: Crystal Rogers’ disappearance
- Crystal Rogers case: Many wondering if possible human remains found in Nelson Co. are Rogers’
- Vigil held for Crystal Rogers, Bardstown mother missing since 2015
- Crystal Rogers’ family questions timing of Bourbon Festival, removal of signs
- Crystal Rogers: Signs pop up in Bardstown targeting suspect in her disappearance, murder
- False hope plagues families of Crystal Rogers, Timmothy Pitzen
- Newly elected Nelson County Sheriff ready to get to work solving Crystal Rogers case
- Judges: Crystal Rogers’ son no longer allowed to see his grandmother
- Crystal Rogers: Detectives provide inside look at investigation
- Vigil hosted to remember Crystal Rogers, missing mother of 5
- No decision yet on site of Brooks Houck theft trial
- Sherry Ballard: Crystal Rogers’ mother appears on ‘Megyn Kelly TODAY’
Copyright 2023 WAVE. All rights reserved.