LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WYMT) - Johnson Central wide receiver Geordon Blanton and Pulaski County wide receiver Jake Johnson are among eight finalists for the 2016 Kentucky Mr. Football Award.
Blanton played multiple positions this season for head coach Jim Matney but made his biggest impact as a wide receiver where he hauled in 24 passes for 765 yards and 11 touchdowns. He also recorded 37 total tackles and five interceptions as a defensive back in helping lead the Golden Eagles to their first Class 4A state championship.
Johnson set a single-season record with 139 receptions this season for 1,701 yards and 18 touchdowns, and graduates as Kentucky's all-time leader in receptions (414) and receiving yards (5,614) and ranks second in touchdown receptions (64).
The other 2016 Kentucky Mr. Football finalists are:
* Landon Arnett, Mayfield (Quarterback)
* Spencer Blackburn, Trinity (Quarterback)
* Trajon Bright, Mayfield (Quarterback)
* Jamale Carothers, Bowling Green (Running Back)
* Tanner Morgan, Quarterback (Ryle)
* Walker Wood, Quarterback (Lafayette)
The winner will be announced by the Associated Press later this month.