LONDON, Ky. (WYMT) - London Police Department arrested a man at a hotel Wednesday after he tried to pay a teenager for sex.
Rahul Priyakant Patel, 31, was charged with promoting human trafficking under age 18 and unlawful use of electronic means to induce a minor to have sex.
Police say Patel was texting an undercover officer when he agreed to pay $150 to a 17-year-old.
The agreement was allegedly for 'full service', meaning intercourse and oral sex.
Patel was arrested and taken to the Laurel County Detention Center. A cash bond was set at $100,000.
An arraignment is scheduled for 9:30 a.m., May 18.
Attorney General Andy Beshear's Office warns the public to keep an eye out for possible signs of victims of human trafficking:
- Travel together and have identical tattoos, branding
- Unable to identify what town or state they are in or where they are staying
- Appears malnourished and has physical injuries
- Avoids eye contact and seems to adhere to limited, scripted or rehearsed responses in social interaction
- Loss of sense of time
- Has possession of multiple pre-paid credit cards
If a human trafficking victim is in immediate danger, call 911. If you suspect human trafficking, call 877-KYSAFE1.
Victims of human trafficking can also call or text the National Human Trafficking Hotline at 888-373-7888. Interpreters are available for callers.